Stephen Engelberg, Editor-in-Chief
Stephen Engelberg was the founding managing editor of ProPublica from 2008–2012, and became editor-in-chief on January 1, 2013. He came to ProPublica from The Oregonian in Portland, where he had been a managing editor since 2002. Before joining The Oregonian, Mr. Engelberg worked for The New York Times for 18 years, including stints in Washington, D.C., and Warsaw, Poland, as well as in New York. He is a member of the Pulitzer Prize Board.
Robin Sparkman, President
Robin Sparkman became President of ProPublica in September 2021. She has responsibility for all of ProPublica’s non-journalism operations, including fundraising, communications, legal, finance and budgeting, and human resources. Prior to ProPublica, Sparkman was the founding CEO of nonprofit media organization StoryCorps. Previously, she spent more than two decades as a reporter and editor. She served as editor-in-chief of the American Lawyer from 2010-2014, and earlier as executive editor, as well as deputy editorial director of parent company American Lawyer Media. Previous work included stints at MSNBC.com and Newsweek. She serves on the executive committee of the board of Union Settlement and on the Wellesley College Business Leadership Council.
Tracy Weber, Managing Editor
Tracy Weber helps oversee and maximize projects across the newsroom. Prior to this role, as a senior editor, she guided landmark projects on family separation, jailhouse informants, the dismantling of workers’ compensation and a Mexican massacre touched off by the Drug Enforcement Administration, among others. Work she edited has earned virtually every significant honor in journalism, including the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting. As a reporter at the Los Angeles Times, Weber won the Pulitzer Prize for public service in 2005 and was a finalist for the same award at ProPublica in 2010.
Charles Ornstein, Managing Editor, Local
Charles Ornstein oversees the Local Reporting Network, as well as ProPublica offices in the Midwest, the South, the Southwest and a unit operated with The Texas Tribune. Projects he has worked on as both a reporter and editor have been recognized with the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, as well as other national journalism awards. From 2008 to 2017, he was a senior reporter covering health care and the pharmaceutical industry.
Ragan Rhyne, Senior Vice President, Development
Ragan Rhyne is ProPublica's senior vice president, development. With more than 15 years of nonprofit executive experience, Rhyne has effectively developed programs and built relationships for global, national and regional institutions. She most recently served as senior director of development and strategic programming for the International Center of Photography, where she steered organizational and fundraising strategy, managed a portfolio of major donors, and directed special events.
Tyson Evans, Chief Product and Brand Officer
Scott Klein, Deputy Managing Editor
Scott leads the teams at ProPublica that work at the intersection of journalism and technology. In addition to leading editorial product development and engineering, he oversees the interactive projects that tell journalistic stories using data, and that make complex subjects relevant to readers and their communities.
His teams have been recognized with a Peabody Award, several Online Journalism Awards for General Excellence, Malofiej International Infographics Award medals, the Data Journalism Award Jurors Choice Award, as well as Society for News Design Awards of Excellence, including one special recognition for “defining the design language of data-driven news apps.”
Scott is also co-founder of DocumentCloud, a service that helps news organizations search, manage and present their source documents. He sits on the board of the Muckrock Foundation.
Alexandra Zayas, Deputy Managing Editor
Alexandra Zayas is a deputy managing editor at ProPublica, running a team of reporters and overseeing senior editors of its global public health and visual storytelling teams. Stories she edited have won two National Magazine Awards, two George Polk Awards and the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing. As an investigative reporter, she won the Selden Ring and Livingston awards and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.
Ginger Thompson, Chief of Correspondents
Ginger Thompson is ProPublica's chief of correspondents. In addition to reporting and writing, Ginger Thompson oversees ProPublica’s staff development and recruitment efforts. She joined ProPublica from The New York Times in 2014. She has spent much of her career covering Latin America, and her work has won numerous awards.
Eric Umansky, Deputy Managing Editor
Eric Umansky is a deputy managing editor of ProPublica, where he has overseen two Pulitzer Prize-winning projects. Most recently, a series he edited on NYPD abuse of “nuisance abatement” laws won the Pulitzer Gold Medal for Public Service. He is also a co-founder of Document Cloud.
Stephanie Little, Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Stephanie Little oversees all financial activities for the organization, including financial planning, management and analysis. She also directs human resources policy and benefits administration and brings experience in nonprofit management to the role. Prior to joining ProPublica in March 2016, as Director of Finance and Human Resources, her career has spanned such prestigious organizations as The Metropolitan Opera and The New York Times. She holds an MBA in Finance and Media Studies from Fordham University and was named a 92Y Women in Power Fellow in 2018.
Jeremy Kutner, General Counsel
Jeremy Kutner is general counsel at ProPublica, where he provides legal advice on the organization’s full range of activities, with emphasis on its newsroom. He has litigated cases involving libel, freedom of information laws, subpoenas seeking testimony from reporters about sources, and access to sealed documents. Prior to joining ProPublica as deputy general counsel in 2018, Kutner practiced media law at Ballard Spahr (formerly Levine, Sullivan, Koch & Schulz), and was a First Amendment Fellow at The New York Times.
Diego Sorbara, Assistant Managing Editor
Diego Sorbara is an assistant managing editor at ProPublica. He helps ensure the consistency and quality of the newsroom’s work and oversees freelance reporting expenditures and production. Sorbara joined ProPublica in 2018 as the newsroom’s first standards editor after 10 years at The New York Times.
- Deputy Editor, Local: Sarah Blustain
- Senior Editors: Ziva Branstetter, Patricia Callahan, Henri Cauvin, Jesse Eisinger, Daniel Golden, Boyzell Hosey, Rui Kaneya, T. Christian Miller, Michael Mishak, Steve Myers, Kit Rachlis, Marilyn Thompson and Nick Varchaver
- Editor at Large: Tim Golden
- Senior Director, Design & Product: David Sleight
- Art Director: Lisa Larson-Walker
- Talent Development Director: Talia Buford
- Talent Associate: Cedeem Gumbs
- Editorial Experience Designer: Allen Tan
- Visuals Editors: Alex Bandoni, Jillian Kumagai and Andrea Wise
- Director of Audience Strategy: Daniel Petty
- Deputy Editor, Audience: Kengo Tsutsumi
- Assistant Editor, Audience: Karim Doumar
- Audience Editor, News, Social and Weekends: Chris Morran
- Newsletter Editor: Ruth Baron
- Reporter, Newsletters: Logan Jaffe
- Visual Producer: Maya Eliahou
- Engagement Editor and Reporter: Ariana Tobin
- Engagement Reporters: Byard Duncan, Asia Fields, Adriana Gallardo, Maryam Jameel and Maya Miller
- Reporters: David Armstrong, Ken Armstrong, James Bandler, Neil Bedi, Caroline Chen, Pamela Colloff, Jenny Deam, Renee Dudley, Peter Elkind, Justin Elliott, Robert Faturechi, Robin Fields, Ryan Gabrielson, Michael Grabell, Corey Johnson, Joshua Kaplan, Paul Kiel, Ava Kofman, Andy Kroll, Abrahm Lustgarten, Alec MacGillis, Kathleen McGrory, J. David McSwane, Kartikay Mehrotra, Brett Murphy, Jake Pearson, Lizzie Presser, Megan Rose, Sebastian Rotella, Topher Sanders, Joaquin Sapien, Craig Silverman, Lisa Song, A.C. Thompson, Heather Vogell and Annie Waldman
- Research Editor: Lynn Dombek
- Senior Research Reporter: Doris Burke
- Research Reporters: Kirsten Berg, Mariam Elba, Alex Mierjeski and Mollie Simon
- Copy Editors: Colleen Barry and Neil deMause
- Executive Producer, Video: Almudena Toral
- Visual Investigations Producer: Lucas Waldron
- Video Journalists: Katie Campbell, Mauricio Rodríguez Pons and Nadia Sussman
- Video Editor: Joseph Singer
- Data Editor: Ryann Grochowski Jones
- News Applications Editor: Ken Schwencke
- Deputy Data Editor: Hannah Fresques
- Deputy Editors, News Apps: Lena V. Groeger and Al Shaw
- News Applications Developers: Alec Glassford, Ash Ngu, Andrea Suozzo, Ruth Talbot and Mike Tigas
- Senior Data Reporter: Jeff Ernsthausen
- Data Reporters: Sophie Chou, Haru Coryne, Irena Hwang, Joel Jacobs, Agnel Philip and Ellis Simani
- Computational Journalist: Jeff Kao
- Scripps Howard Audience & Newsletter Fellow: Brooke Stephenson
- Lorana Sullivan Business Fellow: Carson Kessler
- Abrams Reporting Fellow: Hannah Dreyfus, Bianca Fortis and Emily Hopkins
- Ancil Payne Fellow: Umar Farooq
Midwest News Staff
- Midwest Editor: George Papajohn
- Deputy Midwest Editor: Steve Mills
- Reporters: Anna Clark, Jodi S. Cohen, Vernal Coleman, Mick Dumke, Duaa Eldeib, Jeremy Kohler, Jessica Lussenhop, Megan O’Matz and Melissa Sanchez
South News Staff
- South Editor: Mara Shalhoup
- Reporters: Max Blau, Doug Bock Clark, Nicole Carr, Sarah Smith, Aliyya Swaby and Seth Freed Wessler
Southwest News Staff
- Southwest Editor: Michael Squires
- Reporters: Anjeanette Damon, Eli Hager, Mary Hudetz, Mark Olalde and Nicole Santa Cruz
Texas Tribune Initiative News Staff
- Texas Editor: Zahira Torres
- Reporters: Kiah Collier, Vianna Davila, Lomi Kriel, Jeremy Schwartz and Perla Trevizo
- Data Reporter: Ren Larson
- Research Reporter: Lexi Churchill
- Director of Development: Heather Troup
- Director of Online Fundraising and Outreach: Jill Shepherd
- Director of Development Services: Paul Gish
- Director of Leadership Gifts: Jane Nicholson
- Assistant Director of Individual Giving: Tova Genesen
- Development Coordinator: Yubei Tang
- Deputy General Counsel: Sarah Matthews
- Director of Marketing: Cynthia Gordy Giwa
- Public Relations Director: Alexis Stephens
- Assistant Director of Communications, Local Initiatives: Alissandra Calderon
- Events Associate: Connor Goodwin and Rocio Ortega
- Human Resources Director: Liz Sharp
- Human Resources Associate: Myron Avant
- Director of Information Technology and Systems: Jim Norris
- Manager, Information Technology and Operations: Nicholas Lanese
- Senior Product Developer: Frank Sharpe
- Product Developer: Jaya Subrahmanyan
- Finance Director: Jeremiah Hess
- Finance Manager: Cindy De La Cruz
- Associate Finance Manager: Melissa Rosado
- Finance Associate: Shadman Hussain
- Office Manager, New York: Joanna Kelly
- Office Assistant, Midwest: Liz Barr